How to Handle Exposed Tree Roots
Category : Tree Care
Tree root systems are very vast and complex to look at. They are windy and provide so much strength to the tree. Since most tree roots are under the ground, the typical homeowner won’t be looking into their yard to see any roots. Sometimes, a few tree roots can grow to be seen above the ground. What might it mean when exposed tree roots begin to happen? How can you work with them to keep your tree strong and your yard safe?
What causes exposed tree roots?
Even though it might seem like your tree’s roots are growing in an upward direction, the root system of a tree grows outwards and downwards from its base. Noticing any roots above ground can happen when there is erosion of the soil. The ground may be exposed to heavy rain and lack of sun, which causes erosion. This will expose the roots and potential cause them some hard while they are above ground for some time.
What To Do with Any Exposed Tree Roots
A tree’s roots can quickly be damaged by people, lawn mowers, and other tools in your yard. Damaged roots can’t efficiently do their job of getting water and nutrients for the tree, and this can negatively influence your tree’s the health and well-being of your tree. If you notice a tree with exposed tree roots in your yard, you are able to do some things to limit any harm and protect your trees:
- You don’t want people walking all over the roots, so avoid spending time in areas of your lawn with the roots.
- Place mulch over the roots for added protection from the elements and animals.
- Try to use organic elements as your choice of mulch over the roots.
- You should spread mulch over the whole area in case of soil erosion to protect exposure to other roots.
- Avoid mowing your lawn too close to the exposed roots. You don’t want to accidentally damage them with the mower blade.
- If you want another option to mulching around the exposed roots, spread new soil and add some plants.
Contact a Tree Professional
If you are ever curious about the well-being of your tree, contact Dudley Tree! Our team of tree professionals have years of experience in the tree industry. Contact us for more information about our services. Whether you need tree removal, tree trimming, pruning, or stump grinding, we can take care of it. Give us a call or fill out our contact form to get in touch!